UPDATE – 21.09.2020 – we are expecting the vices to be complete this week, please email us should you wish to inquire more about them. We do have a waiting list but will operate on a confirmation basis/payment to secure.
ORBITAL V.3 – 30.06.2020 – REEL Fly Fishing is proud to announce the version III of our popular Orbital fly tying vice. The new vice is 100% manufactured and designed in Johannesburg, South Africa and is a completely new take on the design. Below you will find our mock-up, with production officially kicking off on the 30th June 2020. Lead time is about two to three weeks before the big reveal, with pre-orders being given preference.
- new full cam operated hardened tool steel jaws – no thumb screws of any kind
- enlarged base plate with ergonomic design – powder coating in charcoal
- full stainless steel, aluminum and brass construction
- bearing free full rotary design with tension adjustment – a brass sleeve acts as a bearing that wears at a much slower rate than a bearing and doesn’t require servicing or greasing
- bobbin cradle – the perfect spot to keep your thread out of harms way
- stainless steel main shaft and vice neck – over sized and extremely durable
- machined jaw cradle and jaw housing
- knurled gape adjustment
The jaws like on our previous Orbital fly vices were one key element that has been adjusted for a even longer usage. Hardened tool steel is one of the most hard wearing durable metals available and can withstand forces many times more than what the jaws can provide, they will not bend,warp or dent even with large hooks and at maximum pressure. Having the vices designed and manufactured in South Africa by REEL Fly Fishing ,is part of our long term goal to provide affordable locally manufactured fly fishing products to fly fishing enthusiasts. Locally manufactured means even better support, ease of spare parts and extremely precise tolerances and individual customization and accessories. If you are in the market for a new fly tying vice that will last you a lifetime then the Orbital v.3 is hands down a clear winner.
Please send us an email for pre-ordering the new made in SA – Orbital v.3 fly tying vice.
Previous fly tying vice – Orbital v.2
The REEL Fly Fishing original Orbital fly tying vice was a huge success back in December 2018 and brought a full rotary design to the fly fishing market at an unprecedented price point. Work began early in 2019 on our updated Orbital range of fly vices and launched them at the end of 2019.
- Full rotary design and operation | Easily get a full 360° view of the fly you are tying | 2 stainless steel deep groove ball bearings create a friction-less rotary action
- Tension screw | adjusts the tension on the rotary action
- Adjustable jaws | handles hook sizes #28 to 4/0 | Japanese stainless steel | hardened and tempered
- Portable design | 10mm thick | easily setup the vice on any flat surface | great for travelling | base plate weighs : 1030g / 1kg
- Table top | C-clamp accommodates most table tops and affixes to them easily
- Extension section | increase the length of the main aluminium shaft
- Construction materials | aluminium main shaft & extension pieces | Japanese stainless steel Jaws | Stainless steel screws and bolts | Mild steel base plate powder coated in black
- Bobbin cradle | keep your bobbin and thread out of harm’s way | Stainless steel arms and plastic holder
- T-handle | simply attach this to the main rotary handle to give you extra control
- Spring | hackle and feather holder
- Usability | easily converts from left to right hand usage
- Portable carry case | protective case that carries all items for the vice | bungees to secure each component and velvet cover
Whats included in the bag?
- Orbital Fly Vice
- Aluminium Extension section Standard
- Heavy Base plate
- Bobbin cradle
- Magnetic waste bin on all models
- Aluminium T-piece handle extension
- Padded Carry case